Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Berber Jews Summary

Question: Why should we keep the history of the Berber Jews with us?
When I was note taking, making my presentation, and writing out my note cards, I’d always thought I’d got my summary planned out. How wrong was I.
I’ve always considered answering questions like this easy for me, it needed little more research about life itself and a dose of reality to answer something like this, as I quote from my previous answer in MIT class:
“It is important that we maintain our history because we build onto what people have given us, if not we would never have a starting point for new ideas, and the day we forget where we’ve come from will be the day we fall apart”
Answering questions like these need a whole lot more than an opinion, they need fact. So here goes my best possible answer, I hope you like it:

The number of Berber Jews in Morocco have fell rapidly in the last hundreds of years, leaving only few to carry out their ancient traditions and keep passing on their stories, the rest of them are distant memories in history books, waiting to be forgotten. As time moves on it seems to be passing by faster and faster, and with new technology the turning point for our society, the worlds population seems to be more focused on moving forward than keeping to one success at a time. I don’t feel like we should rush moving on, because compared to what we have now, we’ve already lost so much past, holes in time lines that will never be filled. So why keep moving on even though we have everything we need right now? I can answer that: because we have to. But still, I know of no rule that necessity came with loss. Progress is important so we can do our bit to improve the world for the future generation, but I feel losing our ancestors and history in the process is a price that we should not be willing to pay. People who do not believe what I’m saying is right, I have no problem with. For they are the people who believe change is always the answer, and they hate it when they don’t get it. But when we’re all gone, and new people or species discover our past, I don’t want to be forgotten, I want to be remembered for my dedication to progress, and my memory for the ones who fell before me. And if we set this example, maybe they’ll want to do the same, and want to pass on this form of wisdom to the next people, and they might want to as well. History can be used to describe our past, but it can also describe how we benefit the ones who follow us.

By: Alice Marion Jiggins

9 comments:

  1. Hi Alice, I agree when you say that the Berber Jews shouldn't be left behind and I think they shouldn't be ashamed of being a Jewish Berber with all the Muslim Berbers.

    However, I have a question: Do Jewish Berbers have the same traditions as Muslim Berbers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great presentation, i agree with you on that the jewish Berbers may not be that important but they should still be recognized. The jewish also shouldn't be ashamed of who they are.

    Do Jewish Berbers live the same lifestyle as Muslim Berbers? such as farming, cooking, traditions etc..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice presentation Alice. I agree with you that you schouldn't be ashamed of your religion like the jewish. It is true that we should keep our history to build upon and learn more. We can only do this if we keep the histories of people or bigger groups written down.

    Why did the Jewish give up in spreadin their reilgion in Morocco?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alice, This was a great topic.

    How do you think exactly how the Jews lived? Did they have the same traditions that the muslim berbers follow now?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that when you said if berbers had no history they will fall apart is wrong because many communities live without a history.

    Why did the jews come to morocco more than algeria and tunisia?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Question : Why did the Jews come to Morocco, is it to hide from the nazis, or was it to explore new lands?

    I liked your presentation, but I think that the Berber jews are spread like that in the world, not only in north Africa, because of the nazis, or if they spread before the nazis, it was because of the Romans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey guys, thanks for all the comments, im gonna answer all your questions in the following order

    berbersinmoroccodr: some jewish berber traditions are the same as muslim berber traditions, mainly the traditions like ways of preparing food, farming, making cloths, and that sort of thing, however, the majority of aspects that have religious influences over are probably different.

    berbersinmoroccoast: (refere to the question above ;) )

    berbersinmoroccolke: jewish berbers dont spread their religion anymore because of two big reasons. the first is that morocco is no longer a developing country in the ways of establishing a main religion, after the muslim invasion from the arabs, the number of berber jews in morocco had gone down alot because they'd all converted. the second reason is that judisum isnt usually spread or taught 2 other people anymore, its a very personal religion.

    berbersinmoroccoaym: i think in the early days of their religion, the berbers had strong traditions, living their lives like the majority of berbers today, however after the islamic invasion, the jews were forst 2 live in guettos and they're very small man- made buildings that are hard to live in because of their poor heigine.

    berbersinmoroccoA.B.3: the jewish berbers are mainly in morocco because the jews supposedly came from spain and protugal, and im guessing when they got on their boats heading for new land, they headed to the nearest place, morocco.

    berbersinmorocconoa: no one knows why the Jews travled to morocco, but it was long beofre the nazis, (BTW TO EVERYONE WHOS COMMENTING THIS THE JEWS HAVE BEEN AROUND ATLEAST A THOUSNAD YEARS BEFORE THE NAZIS I ONLY MADE THAT REFERENCE THE THE NAZIS BECAUSE THE JEWS HERE WERE MADE TO WEAR IDENTIFICATION LIKE I.D TO SHOW WHO THEY WERE, JUST LIKE WHEN THE NAZIS MADE THE JEWS OF EUROPE WEAR IDENTIFICATION)so i seriously don't know. I cant find the answer, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Alice I enjoyed your topic, Jews don't deserve the way they are being treated.


    Question:

    Is there still discrimination against Jews happening in Morocco?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alice I agree with you when you said that the reason the Berber don't fall apart is because of their history. The Berbers wouldn't be the same if it weren't for their history because then they wouldn't have the same traditions because most of their traditions came from there grandparents and more. If they didn't have their history then they would probably be more modern people because they wouldn't have their families past to hold on too.

    Question: What made some of the Jews become Berber?

    ReplyDelete